Whether you are moving across town or across the country, proper packing is an important key to a successful move. Homeward Bound moving company has accumulated a number of helpful tips over the years and offers these suggestions to you.
We recommend you use sturdy cardboard boxes. You can purchase standard boxes at Home Depot or Lowes, and we can supply you with specialty boxes for items like mirrors, stemware, dishware, mattresses, clothing, and lamps.
Many on a budget will seek to get boxes at their local grocer, but be careful because insect eggs and bugs such as roaches are often found in these boxes.
Part of doing any job well means having the proper tools on hand. When packing, in addition to having sturdy boxes, we recommend the following:
- Plenty of old newspaper
- Styrofoam peanuts or bubble wrap for fragile items
- Strong 2″ wide tape
- Sharp scissors or sharp knife/razor
- Labels and markers to identify box content/room
General Rules for Packing
Here are some general rule of the road when packing household or business belongings:
- The heavier the item, the smaller the box
- When packing multiple items in a box, place heavier items at the bottom and lighter items on top
- Place bottles of liquid items (shampoo, lotion, etc) in resealable plastic bags before packing to avoid damage should they spill
- Pack electronics such as computers, printers, stereos in their original containers
- Flammable liquids and aerosol cans should not be packed as changes in temperature could cause them to explode damaging your property
Feel free to contact the team at Homeward Bound Moving if you have additional questions about packing other items. We’d be happy to answer any question or to pack your items for you.
Moves in North Carolina are regulated by the North Carolina Utilities Commission which provides Moving 101 – A Consumer’s Guide online.